Crafting Content for The Customer Journey
Austin Distel, Chief Marketing Officer at Proof, and MarketMuse Co-founder and Chief Product Officer Jeff Coyle discuss how to craft content for the customer journey and the success Proof has had in applying personalization to their own site.
The Value of Experience
Turning your product into an experience is a guaranteed way to increase its value. Austin uses a great analogy here. The amount of grapes (the commodity) that go into a bottle of wine cost 37 cents. The wine (product) itself costs $10 in a store. In a restaurant that same bottle of wine is now $40, included as part of a service. Transform that service into an experience (say a cruise with a sommelier matching the wine and providing the story behind it) and the price jumps to $185.
Serving Multiple Personas Hurts Conversion Rates
Trying to coordinate dozens of landing pages and audiences is chaotic. The typical solution is to build separate landing pages for each situation, duplicating them for each keyword. Companies are starting to solve the problem using personalization.
Dumb vs Smart Websites
Dumb websites are restricted to only acquiring customers through education and conversion. Smart websites take this a step further to retain customers (through activation and engagement), and encourage them to amplify (through expansion and referral).
Personalization can be used in numerous cases including sales lead generation (CTA’s), recovering abandoned signups, delighting current customers, and upgrades.
Result of Personalization
So does personalization work? Proof experience a 54% increase in demo registrations and a 32% increase in new trials.
Three Steps to Personalize the Customer Journey
Here are the three critical steps to personalizing the customer journey.
- Collect and unify data
- Personalization strategy
- Implementation and tracking
The three core data categories to target personalization are:
- Company (revenue, employees, tech stack, industry)
- Personal (income, job title, age, interests)
- Behaviour (lifecycle, activity, traffic source, lead score)
What you should do now
When you’re ready… here are 3 ways we can help you publish better content, faster:
- Book time with MarketMuse Schedule a live demo with one of our strategists to see how MarketMuse can help your team reach their content goals.
- If you’d like to learn how to create better content faster, visit our blog. It’s full of resources to help scale content.
- If you know another marketer who’d enjoy reading this page, share it with them via email, LinkedIn, Twitter, or Facebook.