Gregg Anderson, Co-Founder & Chief Executive Officer, 41 Orange, and Kirby Burke, former Client Strategy Lead at MarketMuse discuss how to scale content production. Here are the webinar notes.
When developing a content strategy, remember these six important aspects:
- Who the content is for. It’s common to have multiple personas.
- The problem you’re trying to solve. Support prospects and customers along all points of the customer journey.
- What makes your content unique. This is how to stand out from the crowd.
- What content formats are most appropriate. Different formats (blog, video, infographics, podcast) excel in particular situations.
- Distributions channels that work best. Using different channels enables maximum audience reach.
- What content writing and publication workflows are most efficient. This helps scale content and build authority faster.
Think about the topics you want to own, not just keywords. Instead of creating content based on keywords, look to create clusters of content around specific topics, with a pillar page and supporting pages. This way the supporting pages can address all the relevant user intent profiles (why people are searching for the subject).
The Content Production Process
There are four ways to scale content production.
- Rely on freelance writers with experience on the topic about which you want to write.
- Have editors edit and QA all content.
- Use outside resources for images and design needs.
- Optimize content to increase ranking using MarketMuse.
The 41 Orange Process
41 Orange uses a six-step process:
- Content topics
- Interview and research.
- Outline and send to writers.
- Round of edits.
- SEO optimization.
- Send for approval.
Content Promotion (Outreach)
Outreach is a valuable way to build links to your content. Social media marketing is one method. But outbound via LinkedIn and cold email with outbound sales tools can work well if you focus on the human-to-human connection and basic consumer psychology. The key is to highly personalize all emails and messages.