Robert Mills, Head of Content at Gather Content, and MarketMuse Co-founder and Chief Product Officer Jeff Coyle spent some time discussing the best ways to improve your content workflow. Here are the webinar notes.
What is a Content Workflow?
Providing visibility into the content workflow allows everyone to understand where the content is coming from and where it’s going next.
Risks of Not Following a Workflow
Not using a workflow leaves too much open to chance, including the risks of:
- Process issues
- Skills required
- Roles and responsibilities
Stages of an Effective Workflow
You may need several workflows within an organization, depending on the project. There’s no golden rule for the number of stages required in a workflow, but each one should have a well-defined purpose.
Process, Tasks, and People Involved to Make it Work
The six primary tasks in an effective workflow are:
- Content creation
Although the size of a team will vary, the main functions within the team that need to be covered are: Chief Content Officer, Content Creators, Content Editors, Social Team, and Content Managers.
The Cost of Creating Content
The three pillars of costing quality content are:
- Scope (amount of content to produce)
- Resources (amount of writers and budget for them)
- Time (content creation window)
Repurpose and Optimize Existing Content
One piece of content can serve multiple purposes, taking a different form. For example, a webinar can be repurposed into a blog post. An ebook can be turned into a workshop or a checklist. Like optimization, repurposing is very effective because you’re not always starting from scratch.
Leverage Technology for Greater Efficiency and ROI
There are three areas in which technology can help:
- Content operations and management system
- Content intelligence
- Project management system
Customize Your Workflow
There are five parts to workflow customization:
- Map your workflow
- Add people
- Identify risks and pain points
- Estimate time
- Pitch and critique.
What you should do now
When you’re ready… here are 3 ways we can help you publish better content, faster:
- Book time with MarketMuse Schedule a live demo with one of our strategists to see how MarketMuse can help your team reach their content goals.
- If you’d like to learn how to create better content faster, visit our blog. It’s full of resources to help scale content.
- If you know another marketer who’d enjoy reading this page, share it with them via email, LinkedIn, Twitter, or Facebook.